Monday, December 6, 2010

Worst blogger EVER!!!

Yes, it's true - I'm the absolute worst blogger on the planet - I just checked my blog and I didn't post one single thing in November and only once in October. I could make excuses but we all know what excuses are like...and I don't even have any pictures for you... well, I have one...



We have been eating a LOT of chicken so I am becoming the resident expert on chicken stock and it's magically delicious properties which are numerous! Short of fueling the space shuttle, this amazing liquid can do anything! It's practically a superfood in a pot - it cures ALL ills (caution...this statement has not been evaluated or approved by the FDA) and I have just discovered a secret that my owl and hawk friends (HA!) taught me - the head of the chicken is really the best part!

Yes, I often cook broth with the carcass left over from our meals and it was WAY better than that travesty they call chicken stock at the store but last night I put in three heads and six feet with the carcass and BAM!!! Chicken broth ala'extrodinare! It was golden, rich and mmmmmmmmm. And if you put enough onion and celery in, you can't even see the heads staring out at you (just kidding...their eyes are closed) just don't stir it too much or you have to keep poking beaks and toes down into the broth with is actually pretty amusing in a witch's brew kind of way.

I had read an old chicken broth recipe that said to remove the skin from the feet which I did on a few of them but even I have to admit that it's creepy and gross so I stopped - hey, it's all getting strained out anyway! I now have more chicken broth in my freezer than I can shake a stick at ... winter colds, do your worst!

Can you tell that I have been reading a book on the origin of old colonial colloquialisms (I challenge you to say that 10 times fast!) Yes, this is actually the kind of stuff I read when I'm not reading farming books. My favorite so far is haywire 'cause I actually really get that one! I deal with hay wire a lot and it can be pretty crazy for sure! Warning - many weird expressions will be liberally sprinkled throughout my blogs so be on the lookout 'cause here on the farm we talk turkey and go whole hog!

Until next time,

Brie

3 comments:

  1. Brie, here is the recipe out naturopath daughter uses ... just to add to your collection!! :-) xoxo Rob's mom

    Turkey or Chicken Carcass Soup from Meghan

    Cover carcass and bones with water and 1 Tble. cider vinegar, bring to boil, cover and lower heat to simmer; continue cooking for 24-48 hours ( the longer the better!).

    Strain liquid of bones, etc. Return stock to pot, add meat back in, then add:

    4 medium onions, chopped
    8 carrots, chopped
    6 celery stalks, chopped
    2-4 Zucchini, chopped
    1 bunch parsely, chopped up
    5 garlic cloves, minced or sliced
    About 4 inches ginger, grated
    2-4 Tble. sea salt
    4-6 Tble. coconut oil or butter.

    Again, bring to a boil, then lower heat, cover and cook another 3-4 hours.

    Freezes well and is soooooooooooooo good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delish! I love the addition of the ginger - throw in a couple feet and heads and I'm in! I always add a bit of vinegar as well to bring out the collagen in the bones.
    Thanks Rob's Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love google reader because even if folks don't post in years, I am alerted immediately of any new blog they publish! I'll always know when something new on the farm is available to read. So never fear about being delinquent on your blogging. And remember, you get 'up at the crack of dawn' and 'run around like a chicken with his head cut off' doing daily farm chores, so your sporadic posts are quite justifiable.

    Looking forward to trying your stock soon, I bet with great wine and dear fellowship it is all the more delicious : )

    ReplyDelete