Tuesday, July 27, 2010

More news from Serbia

Got a run in this morning and running in the mountains is exhausting so I'll just post some pics and info and hit the sack.

We took a walk through through the hills this morning before our tour - it's just gorgeous here. Felt like I should be singing something from a Julie Andrews movie.
Here is our hotel - very European - small rooms but the view is great - we are in the "tower"
Kids and I looking down on the town
Just what I needed - another couple miles up and down at altitude. Actually, since the entire Serbian diet seems to consist of butter, meat and cheese, I probably need this more than I know. Poor John is absolutely dying for a salad - he ordered a ceasar salad at dinner and got a couple lettuce leaves drowned in a buttery sauce with chicken, bacon and cheese. The food here really is wonderful and you would be hard-pressed to find an overweight Serbian which lends a lot of support to this type of whole food, unprocessed diet being far superior to our refined, fried psudo-food American diet. There are no hydrogenated corn syrups, trans-fats, GMO foods (which they label) or unnatural ingredients at all.
We took a wonderful tour of this cave (amazing) and then saw an ethnic village with authentic old Serbian buildings.
When they told me this was an old coffee bean roaster, I was so desperate for some good coffee, I thought I'd give it a go. No luck.


We go into the town center at least twice a day - there is a large man-made pond and many shops and street vendors. I have accidently tried to pay several street vendors in Euros instead of Dinars and each time they have refused to take the money saying "Ne, Ne" - this is amazing because one Euro is worth 100 Dinar and I'm trying to give them a fortune which they turn down - incredibly honest people! Of course John has taken away all my Euros in exasperation since I can't seem to tell the difference between all this monopoly money. The food, drinks and everything here is so cheap - our most expensive meal with appetizers, huge meals, two beers, two wines, two hot chocolates was less than $40. Ian bought this wonderful hand-knit wool vest for $7 and John buys huge bottles of water for about $.60. We would retire here if we could understand anything they are saying.

Falling asleep - more tomorrow - another tour to someplace.

No comments:

Post a Comment