Friday, July 9, 2010

Be Careful What You Wish For

Well, the rain finally let up tonight when our friends Rob and Jo VanVleet came over for dinner so Jo was able to feed and brush Bessie. We've been giving her some oats and corn with a vitamin to bring her in and also up her nutrition while she's pregnant and still growing herself. She loves it and will stand still and let anyone brush all over her.




Now Jo gives her some Alfalfa cubes. I brushed her this morning and I'm pretty sure she must be one of the most spoiled cows in Texas - she gets a full body brushing twice a day and all the fresh green hay she can eat. Nice.

Some other things that have happened since my last post - I heard coyotes yipping at 2:30am the other night and was woken out of a dead sleep. I grabbed the flashlight and saw four sets of eyeshine slinking through the trees down by the creek. I woke John up and he grabbed his gun but they had moved on by the time we got back down there - we'll need to keep Bessie's calf in the corral at night after he's born.

We put in an herb garden in a bed behind the house and hung some tomato plants from the eaves. No idea when I'll get time to get the main garden in but I'd like to plant some winter wheat now that I have a grain mill. Jo brought her freshly made bread last night and it is simply the most fantastic fresh tasting bread we've ever eaten.

We let the guineas out to roam the penned in area but...they can fly. They all quickly dispersed and only two have been coming back each night wanting to be let back in to the brooder house. So now we are down to two guineas - hopefully the others are down at the creek or out in the field eating bugs.

I titled this post because as I was walking out to the brooder house in the rain and fed Bessie in the rain and let the hens out in the rain.... how could I possibly complain about the rain? We had a drought for 4 years but as soon as we buy a farm it rains for three weeks straight - in the middle of summer - in Texas. Our tanks are full, we'll get more hay than we can use and everything is green and lush and cool. Maybe just a little sun would be nice... but I'd better be careful what I wish for.

1 comment:

  1. I love the glass of wine on the fence in the background! That is the way to feed a cow : ) And I am also envisioning a big cup of coffee in your hand as you make your way to check on the turkeys in the morning. And a glass of lemonade (maybe an adult lemonade...) in the late afternoon on your back porch. How essential are the necessary beverages with your farm life!!

    ReplyDelete